With spring and summer rapidly approaching, it is time to make sure your activity toys are probably covered by insurance. These toys include your boat, wave runners, and recreational vehicles. You are ready to get out there and have fun with your family. Make sure you have all your bases covered before you start your spring and summer fun. Continue reading for insurance tips for your spring and summer activities.


While small boats may be covered on your homeowner’s insurance policy, it is limited coverage. You may need a boat owner’s policy to cover the physical damage that occurs to the boat and any liability that may arise. For items like wave runners and jet skis, you will also need another insurance policy. You should ask your insurance agent if you have adequate liability limits if there are discounts for taking part in safety courses, and who is covered on your policy.

All-terrain Vehicles (ATVs)

Your homeowner’s policy may provide limited liability coverage on your ATVs. Make sure you have enough coverage to provide for yourself and your family in case of an accident. You may want a separate ATV policy to have proper insurance. Be sure to ask about age restrictions for operation, who is covered under the policy, and if there are safety course discounts.

Recreational Vehicles (RVs)

Having a good RV insurance policy can protect you from collision, theft, bodily injury, and fire. There is a lot that goes into driving an RV; it is much larger than a standard vehicle, causing a higher likelihood that something could happen. Make sure you are covered before going on your summer road trip to have peace of mind.

Golf carts

Many people use golf carts outside of the course, such as through their neighborhood. Personally owned golf carts typically have coverage under the homeowner and auto policies. If you regularly use your golf cart off of your property, you may want to look into getting a separate policy for it. You may also be able to add it to your auto policy as a recreational vehicle.


Owning one of these toys may be too expensive for your financial situation, so renting is a great way to use these assets. While you do not own them, you still need insurance coverage. If you rent a motorhome, consider the size and potential damage because your liability limits on your personal auto policy may not be enough. Rental car companies typically offer insurance coverage that is optional to protect you from financial responsibility if something happens to the vehicle. Be sure personal liability, bodily injury, and property damage if covered by your personal auto policy. If you are renting a watercraft, whether it is a jet ski or kayak, check with your insurance agent to make sure you have coverage. Read all rental agreements carefully.

Before getting consumed in your summer activities, make sure you have adequate coverage of all of your vehicles. You never know when an accident could happen, so keep yourself and your family safe and protected.